Saturday 1 January 2011

Happy New Year!

A new year is often synonymous with new beginnings and hope, happiness and celebration. I am looking forward to catching my first baby this year, hopefully soon and then becoming a second year student midwife in May. I have hopes of weight loss and being healthier. I have many celebrations to look forward to - two ruby weddings, two 65th birthdays, an 18th and a 21st birthday, two 40th birthdays and a wedding to go to.

However for many the new year can be tinged with sadness - for me it's the beginning of another year without my brother. Today I visited my brothers tree:

I love the cemetery where my brother's tree is. There are always people visiting, there are always fresh flowers and it's a lovely place to spend a contemplative moment. Whilst there I often wander to look at gravestones, or memorials, particular when there is a new one crop up. Today I wandered to spend a moment in the baby and children area - such sorrow and such pain and yet such beauty. The babies gone but not forgotten, still bought gifts though they are not here to enjoy them. The sadness of losing a child seems somehow greater than losing an adult and I'm not about to debate how true that is. Truth is loss of any kind is painful and times of celebration can highlight their absence.

Today I shall light a candle for my brother, but I shall also think of others who have lost loved ones and remember them too. Whilst we think of them, and talk about them, they are never forgotten. Don't ever be afraid to talk to someone about their lost loved one....it helps to know someone else remembers and cares.

Happy new year to you all. I hope 2011 brings you all happiness and laughter, good health and maybe just a smidge of wealth too.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely and so true , the pain of loss is just awful - the pain of thinking people have forgotton our loss is infinitely worse , even if we say the wrong thing , its better to have tried and opened a conversation - its by talking out our memories they stay alive in our hearts .

    ReplyDelete