Tuesday 9 November 2010

Assessment, Assignments and Exams

I have now had half of my results for the year, thankfully all passed, and it's got me thinking about the different ways in which we are tested. Before even getting into University we all had to pass a Maths and English test and it has felt a bit like we've been constantly tested since then. So I thought I'd tell you all a bit more about the tests that we've had to do and how I have "survived" them.

Academic Skills - 2000 word assignment.
I enjoyed this assignment in some ways and in other ways it frustrated me. The assignment was, depending on our prior experience, teaching/reminding us how to write an essay and how to source references. We also had sessions on how to do Harvard Referencing  and four activities designed to help us so that by the time we came to actually write our assignment we'd done most of the work already. For the assignment itself we had to summarise our chosen article and then write about how we it links to our future role. Finally we had to talk about the academic skills we had learnt in the process. I enjoyed it from the perspective that I actually enjoy writing essays and I enjoy doing further reading. I felt frustrated because I was limited by it in so many ways. I would have enjoyed exploring the focal point of my article some more but it wasn't what the assignment was for. That said I am thoroughly enjoying researching my psycho-social assignment which is my next one due in.

Practice Assessment Document (PAD)
I have made reference to this book before. This is the book we carry everywhere with us on placement. For each placement that we do we have key areas that we have to achieve e.g. supporting women to breastfeed in challenging circumstances, recognise the onset of labour, be the initial port of contact for pregnant women, competently provide information regarding screening etc... You'll have to excuse me a little here as my book is currently with my personal tutor so I have had to rely on my memory and I couldn't recall exactly how they were written. When I first got my book and I looked through everything that we had to get signed off, it felt so overwhelming. Once on placement it almost felt even more overwhelming. The opportunity to get anything looked at let alone signed off, felt very remote. However I soon learnt you had to find the right balance of forceful, respectful and keen. However it is important to note that the balance can be different for everyone that you work with. I certainly found it far easier to get my book signed once I was into the Community part of my placement. Anyway for each section of our PAD we have to have at least one formative assessment before the summative assessment is done and a mark awarded. The mark given definitely depends on who you are working with, not just your ability and it seems that our mentors were every bit as confused as us; however in their defence it is a fairly new way of doing it so they are still learning too.

Exam - Biological Basis of Health.
A 2 hour exam consisting of 25 multiple choice questions, a midwifery specific diagram and 4 midwifery specific short answer questions. Now I am the first to admit that Biology is not my strong point. When I was at school and was choosing my options (is that showing my age or do they still call it that?) I could choose whatever I wanted. I wanted to do a science but knew it wasn't my strong point so I went to my teachers in turn to ask their advice. They each advised me not to take their subject......and this was a grammar school. looking back I think that says more about the teachers than it does me but hey that was then and this is now. So having said that I do sometimes wonder whether I was really that bad or more that I wasn't good enough. Either way it has left me with this feeling that I am no good at science. Having said that I think I have a good enough understanding of where things are in my body, and how the reproductive system works, and there are certain parts of our lectures I have found easier than others. Anyway to cut a long story short, I studied hard for my exam. Of all my assessments, exams are what I dread the most.

Other students have often asked how I revise and I can only tell you what I do and say that it works for me. During lectures I take extensive notes even if they tell me it's going to be put up on our portal system. Following the lectures, I head to the library and type up my notes (not always immediately before anyone thinks I am a complete geek, I actually tend to do big chunks at a time) and when I reach a part that I've written that I don't understand I can reach for a book and read up some more so that I do understand it. I may include flow charts so that I can see that x leads to y and so on and so forth. I won't say it leads to me remembering it all but it does help and it does mean I understand it better.

Drugs Calculation Test
We had two weeks in which we had to log in and answer 20 drugs calculation questions. We were allowed to use a calculator and perform the test wherever we liked, although they did request that we did it on our own. In the two weeks preceding we could access practice tests so that we could get used to the format and the kinds of questions we'd be asked. We did have to get 100% to pass but in all honesty, would you want me to be correct with drugs calculations anything less than 100%? I wasn't nervous about the test; I hadn't had any problems with the practice questions after all. I guess the only thing I was worried about was making a silly mistake or misreading the question. It would be too difficult to misread mg as mcg or similar. Thankfully I passed first time but I was surprised by how nervous I was when I was doing it.

So what's left for this year? My next task is my Psycho-Social assignment, then my Values assignment and then my PAD for my second placement this year. Oh and I almost forgot, we have a poster presentation as part of our Psycho-Social this Friday; although it's not graded.

My advice to current students and future students is plan early! For us, we were given all our assignment details early, so I started to think about them early. I have had to plan my study time around my children and family commitments. When we had only one lecture in a day, I didn't go home, I went to the library. This gave me time to rewrite parts I wasn't happy with. It also gave me time to look through the assessment criteria and see if I had covered all I needed to. With my revision notes for the Biology exam, starting early meant I was re-covering things rather than learning things for the first time.

44 comments:

  1. Australia Best Tutor is providing online assignment help services at affordable prices. Here students are coming for better grades and improve your results. These services are available 24 x 7 hours. List are under below.
    Online Assignment Help
    Assignment Help
    Instant Assignment Help
    My Assignment Help
    Help with Assignment


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      Gratitude for putting up this prolific article! You truly make everything a cake walk. Genuinely good stuff, saving time and energy.
      This issue was filed with Mentor in November 2011 (as SR2443464372, DR00840453). The Defect Report was closed in 2015 (without any email notice), stating that this concern is an Enhancement Request, needing to be filed on Mentor Ideas.
      Users can't wait four or more years to get an answer like that, which does not even constitute a solution. Hence, the workaround: Always assign the Display Control Scheme Name for a Detailed View to be the Name of the Detailed View. This way, you take control of the problem, accessing the Scheme Name through DetailedView.Name. It's simple, and it has worked for us over the past 6+ years.
      Appreciate your effort for making such useful blogs and helping the community.

      Thanks,
      Nivi

      Delete
  2. Java training in indirapuram- There are multiple structures and streams for developing a product or utility. When we talk of technology and programming languages, Java is the maximum desired platform. It is used to expand a whole lot of programs for the systems and embedded devices like cellular telephones, drugs, laptops, and many others.

    Java training in indirapuram

    Hadoop training in indirapuram

    sas training in indirapuram

    sap training in indirapuram

    linux training in indirapuram

    sap fico training in indirapuram

    web design training in indirapuram

    php training in indirapuram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph,

      Gratitude for putting up this prolific article! You truly make everything a cake walk. Genuinely good stuff, saving time and energy.

      This issue was filed with Mentor in November 2011 (as SR2443464372, DR00840453).  The Defect Report was closed in 2015 (without any email notice), stating that this concern is an Enhancement Request, needing to be filed on Mentor IdeasAutomation anywhere tutorial.
       
      Users can't wait four or more years to get an answer like that, which does not even constitute a solution.  Hence, the workaround: Always assign the Display Control Scheme Name for a Detailed View to be the Name of the Detailed View.  This way, you take control of the problem, accessing the Scheme Name through DetailedView.Name.  It's simple, and it has worked for us over the past 6+ years.
      Appreciate your effort for making such useful blogs and helping the community.

      Thanks a heaps,
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Hello There,

    Muchas Gracias Mi Amigo! You make learning so effortless. Anyone can follow you and I would not mind following you to the moon coz I know you are like my north star.

    As you mentioned you need to scroll down to find the text. So, make sure that text is visible when you execute click text. And you can set the position of click by setting offset X/Y in the property.
    PS: if similar text exist more than one time on the screen then make use occurrence property of click text to find specific text.
    THANK YOU!! This saved my butt today, I’m immensely grateful.

    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Sukumar

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CIITN provides Best Linux training in noida based on current industry standards that helps attendees to secure placements in their dream jobs at MNCs. CIITN Provides Best Linux Training in Noida. CIITN is one of the most credible offering hands on practical knowledge and full job assistance with basic as well as advanced level.

    best linux training institute in noida

    linux training in noida

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ni Hau,

    What a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this.

    yes automation is used already extensively and is also the experienced manual testers best helper, but in the long term manual testing might not be completely eliminated.
    After all, automation programs for testing is written by a person (that being an experienced tester or a developer) either way.
    Note: Unless some day programs start testing themselves, test automation and manual testing is here to stay.
    I believe that we are getting to hung up on trying to label ourselves as Technical or Automation testers.
    I do not agree with these terms, in the end, it is all just testing. Just like we use Boundary Value Analysis and Static testing techniques, we can apply scripting or API interrogation to compliment our testing.
    Anyways great write up, your efforts are much appreciated.

    Thanks and Regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best Shell Scripting Training in Noida

    The training imparted by CIITN makes one develop his job accessibility. UNIX SHELL SCRIPTING training is imparted in such a method that the students become technically sound and that enhances their capability to work with this knowledge as technocrats. UNIX SHELL SCRIPTING is a script printed for the shell, or command line predictor of any operating scheme. The shell is often taken as aneasy domain-specific program language. Characteristic operations done by shell scripts include file management, program implementation and printing text. CIITN gives guidance by essentially making the student work with UNIX SHELL SCRIPTING. The teaching procedure is set in such a way that the learner gets a real feel of the work. The knowledge is trained in a step by step procedure so that the students can get that into their head and put into practice it when needed. They are permitted to create and manage tables, do scripting and actual feel the pulse. The trainers at CIITN is the most outstanding. They have the first hand information of the procedure and really communicate that to their students. The students feel confident that they are at CIITN for the education.
    CIITNOIDA offers shell scripting training with choice of multiple training locations across noida. Our unix shell scripting training centers are equipped with lab facilities and excellent infrastructure. We also provide unix shell scripting certification training path for our students in noida. Through our associated shell scripting training centers, we have trained more than 129 shell scripting students and provided 80 percent placement.

    Unix Shell Scripting Training in Noida



    ReplyDelete
  8. Best Sap Training Center in Noida

    CIIT is the biggest ERP SAP training institute in Noida with high tech infrastructure and lab facilities and the options of opting for multiple courses at Noida Location. CIIT in Noida prepares thousands of aspirants for ERP SAP at reasonable fees that is customized keeping in mind training and course content requirement of each attendee.

    ERP SAP training course involves "Learning by Doing" using state-of-the-art infrastructure for performing hands-on exercises and real-world simulations. This extensive hands-on experience in ERP SAP training ensures that you absorb the knowledge and skills that you will need to apply at work after your placement in an MNC.

    CIIT Noida is one of the best ERP SAP training institute in Noida with 100% placement support. CIIT has well defined course modules and training sessions for students. At CIIT ERP SAP training is conducted during day time classes, weekend classes, evening batch classes and fast track training classes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There,


    Using IDE, and VBScript:
    Looking for a way to populate a Droplist, dynamically, from an Oracle database. Automation anywhere training USA
    Based on the pick made from the Droplist, the rest of the fields would then be populated.
    Can the "List Choices" dialog be updated, automatically and dynamically?
    Any suggestions?

    More detail:
    Ideally the form would come up, and the droplist would be populated, dynamically, with a list of projects.
    That list of projects is added to every day and changes as a result.
    Once a project is chosen, the information for that project is loaded into the form in other fields.
    The source database for the project and project information is Oracle.
    Hip Hip Hooray! I was always told that slightly slow in the head, a slow learner. Not anymore! It’s like you have my back. I can’t tell you how much I’ve learnt here and how easily! Thank you for blessing me with this effortlessly ingestible digestible content.







    But great job man, do keep posted with the new updates.


    Gracias

    Radhey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya,

    Using IDE, and VBScript:
    Looking for a way to populate a Droplist, dynamically, from an Oracle database.
    Based on the pick made from the Droplist, the rest of the fields would then be populated.
    Can the "List Choices" dialog be updated, automatically and dynamically?
    Any suggestions? Automation anywhere tutorial

    More detail:
    Ideally the form would come up, and the droplist would be populated, dynamically, with a list of projects.
    That list of projects is added to every day and changes as a result.
    Once a project is chosen, the information for that project is loaded into the form in other fields.
    The source database for the project and project information is Oracle.
    Hip Hip Hooray! I was always told that slightly slow in the head, a slow learner. Not anymore! It’s like you have my back. I can’t tell you how much I’ve learnt here and how easily! Thank you for blessing me with this effortlessly ingestible digestible content.


    But great job man, do keep posted with the new updates.


    Gracias
    Irene Hynes

    ReplyDelete
  11. This Articles are very Helpful to enhance the people careers...Thankful for this Resources to share the Knowledge.
    Java training in chennai | Java training in annanagar | Java training in omr | Java training in porur | Java training in tambaram | Java training in velachery

    ReplyDelete
  12. Extremely extraordinary elements you composed right here..fantastic stuff...I think you've made some in actuality entrancing points.keep occurring the five star do its stuff-battle. Bandicam Registered Free

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. c3c57c7ec950dc2b2224bd2d21a9caaf
    numara onay
    website kurma
    website kurma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. 1ae91f452fc36ef51c371b40a8385939
    define dedektörü

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your article. bcead46b10fcfcc0ce6f45a75eb4870b
    evde iş imkanı

    ReplyDelete